Re: Moving to Debian: updated software

> I don't know of any backported binaries, so you would have to compile it
> yourself. That, however, would be a major undertaking, and presupposes
> that the latest KDE4 even compiles against the versions of the various
> libraries included in lenny.

Yes, compiling KDE is not a hassle that I want to take.

> An alternative is to upgrade to testing/unstable, but then you would no
> longer have the uncomplicated life of a lenny user :-)

Exactly, I need a stable distro.

> Or you could wait for the next stable release, or at least for the
> freeze announcement.

That is not really an option, as I want the _latest_ KDE, not simply
4.4. I contribute to KDE and it is important for me to be on the
latest version. I cannot be on a distro that is perpetually a few
point releases behind.

Thanks, Liam! I am still weighing my options, including Debian-based
distros that may be more up to date. I am currently on Kubuntu, but
the 10.04 release is simply terrible and I'm looking for a new distro.
Suse would be my next choice, but I prefer Debian-based.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com