Re: Linux compatible mainboards -another thought

On 04/21/2010 08:22 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:14:09 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

Further to my original post, it was and is my intention to use replace
the internal graphics card with Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS card, which I
have already but have yet to install.  It will of course will use a
different driver.  In that case, does it really matter whether I have a
driver for the Intel integrated graphics chipset, since it will be
disabled when the new card is installed?
No, it doesn't matter *unless* you want to use the Intel VGA.

For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:

1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources
3/ "nvidia" driver from nvidia website
4/ VESA driver (not recommended)

I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny and
works pretty well.

Greetings,

....how 'bout nouveau? :-)