Re: Sudden reboots with Firefox and Flash

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:41:36PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Or you could just properly seat the current factory HSF.  You likely
> buggered up the pre-applied thermal paste film when you attached the stock
> HSF, or you possibly didn't get the HSF installed squarely atop the CPU.
>
> If this is a "BOX" i7 CPU the HSF should be more than enough for medium over
> clocking.  If the Intel tool is telling you there are thermal problems when
> running at stock frequency, then there's definitely a problem with your
> thermal interface between the CPU heat spreader and the HSF.
>
> Buy some AS5.  Thoroughly clean the existing thermal paste from the HSF and
> CPU.  Apply a thin film of AS5 per the instructions, and properly set the
> HSF onto the CPU heat spreader.  This should solve any CPU thermal issues.

I will look into this. I might just buy a new cooler while I'm at it, the stock one isn't really quiet.

> Forgot to ask.  What case is this system installed in?  Link please?

It's a CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced. By default, it comes with four rather large fans at strategic locations (next to CPU, next to HDDs, at the top). The PSU is also mounted at the bottom, and does not blow heat into the case.