Re: PDF is blocked for printing, etc. OK for acroread (it behaves as expected), but KPDF allows me to print it, even if it is protected! Why?

Merciadri Luca dijo [Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 05:32:51PM +0200]:
> > Pdf "anti-features" are fake security. Don't trust on them, never.
> And what do you suggest if one wants some real protection _and_ the
> benefits of a format like PDF? Thanks.

Thing is, PDF is a printing-oriented format. It is a close descendent
of PostScript, a full-fledged programming language, but geared towards
printers. The main point that makes PDF a more convenient format is
that Acrobat made a big campaign to distribute its PDF reader program.

As you quote, others have told you the PDF-provided security is
fake. It is just a flag flipped to tell the reader program to pretty
please make life miserable for the user.

What do you want to achieve with this _real_ protection you say?
Whatever can be displayed on screen can be captured (i.e. with the
common "PrtScr" keybinding in many environments). If you want to
distribute material and make it hellish to your users to print it,
copy from it or use it in any useful way, why don't you send the
document as a .jpg file?

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244