Re: PDF is blocked for printing, etc. OK for acroread (it behaves as expected), but KPDF allows me to print it, even if it is protected! Why?

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:39:03PM +0700, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:

> Twas brillig at 17:32:51 19.04.2010 UTC+02 when
> Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be did gyre and gimble:
>
>  >> Pdf "anti-features" are fake security. Don't trust on them, never.
>  ML> And what do you suggest if one wants some real protection _and_ the
>  ML> benefits of a format like PDF? Thanks.
>
> There is no "real" protection.
>
> --
>   http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/

This is one of the reasons why people who seek to use DRM will not allow their
software to be made for Free Software Platforms. DRM is not in the best
interest of the users/re-users of content. And by adding DRM, you tell the user
that he/she did not buy the content but is renting it until you decide
otherwise. People have proven, again and again, that they are capable of
circumventing DRM, so it is not an issue of 'if' they will break DRM but when.
And it only hinders legitimate user of your content, those who wish to follow
these restrictions. From my recollection, KPDF has an option to 'enable' the
compliance with the 'do not print' feature. But it is not enabled by default.

--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux == | http://kevix.myopenid.com      |
| : :' :     The Universal OS    | mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/ |