Re: USB device attached via RS232 adaptor

On 19 April 2010 12:15, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-04-19 02:54, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>>
>>> So, is does this SC reader (a) serial-over-USB or (b) USB-over-serial?
>>>

>> I should imagine (b), but I have not gotten there yet to see.
>>

> Then he probably is clueless.

Well, he is turning to _me_ for advice, so that is a reasonable assumption!

>>> (a) is common, (b) is what you described, but I've never heard of (b).
>>>  Are
>>> you sure you wrote what you really mean?
>>>

>> No, I have not gotten there yet to look at the machine. But I want to
>> get there prepared, which is why I ask here.
>>

> Querying the list without the slightest bit of *fact* is a great way to piss
> people off.

I am sorry if I upset people. I was faced with a situation that I did
not understand and thought that I would query those with far more
experience after searching the web yielded nothing useful. Would you
suggest that it is preferable for me to go to this guy's place not
knowing a thing about what I'm getting into, especially when the goal
"read from / write to the card reader" is so straightforward?.

>>> This is the important quote, I think: "Infinity USB Smart is based on the
>>> HID standard, no custom drivers are needed".
>>>

>> HID is for keyboards and mice, not card readers. It does not handle
>> files from what I understand. This is turning into a big pile of WTF.
>>

> Smart cards don't pass much info, and KB emulation works well in such
> environments (also like with bar code scanners).

I have seen barcode and magnetic scanners that simply pass string.
Maybe you are right, maybe that is how this works. We'll see.

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.