Re: How to recover boot floppy in Lenny

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:48:10 -0300, Mauricio Contreras wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> You mean there is no sound "after" you login?
>>
>> I fail to see any relation with that fact (no sound) and the bootloader
>> being located in a floppy disk or SuperGrubDisk so I would investigate
>> first why the sound stopped from working.

(...)

> I recovered sound in Lenny after booting with SuperGrub and running
> alsaconf as root. I picked up my old SoundBlaster Live card and the
> emu10k1 module with alsaconf and set it up as the main sound card
> (there's also an integrated AC'97 in the motherboard) card with index=0.
> Then sound came back.

Ah, that makes more sense to me :-)

(...)

> My disks are set up as follows:
>
> IDE 80 GB hda: 2 partitions
> hd0, 40 GB --- windows xp boot;
> hd1, 40 GB --- windows xp data files

> SATA 80 GB sda 1 partition
> sda 80 GB -- windows data files

> SATA 500 GB
> sdb 1 partition sdb (??) 500 GB ---lenny
>
> I haven't been able to configure Grub 0.94 to boot in this setup so I
> have used SuperGrub or a bootable floppy with Lenny. Could you point me
> to an appropiate grub setup?

Well, it seems you have 3 physical hard disks, with windows installed in
the first partition of the IDE hdd and Lenny in the second SATA (500 GiB).

First you have to do is *to know* what hard disk is being booted in first
place by the BIOS ("IDE 80" -windows- or "SATA 500" -lenny-). After that,
put here the results of your findings and we will see what could be the
better setup for installing GRUB :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón