Re: GNOME crashes when .xsession file is present.

Freeman wrote:
> An empty .xsession file will crash Gnome too. (I remember that debacle.) I
> can't offer a technical explanation.  Maybe it can be viewed as similar to
> initiating two desktops environments simultaneously.

I'm not convinced GNOME is actually involved here. Are you (or the OP)
logging in via GDM? And if so, what session is specified? if "run
Xclient script" or similar, then (as others have said) .xsession is
being invoked as a shell script and GNOME is not being invoked at all.
Default behaviour for some DMs might be to run .xsession if it exists
and pick a default if it doesn't.