Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

>> I use a Debian derivative as it
>> has slightly better hardware support out of the box and more
>> up-to-date packages than straight Debian. That is exactly what this
>> thread is about.
>
> No, that is not what this thread is about.  I am the OP of this
> derivative of the thread
> "[OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a
> different version name" and *I* decide what this thread is about.
> Please don't hijack my thread.
> If you want to start a thread that says Ubuntu is better than Debian,
> then go over to the *Ubuntu* forum and start one.  This is *my* thread,
> and I clearly stated the topic in my original post.

Sorry for stepping on your toes there, buddy. You can have your thread
back, I did not intend to misinterpret, hijack, or declare Foo better
than Bar.

> I acknowledge that there are people in this world who don't want to
> know the details of how to administer a computer OS.  In fact, that
> probably describes the majority of desktop users.  I'm not condemning
> them.  If they have problems, they can ask a personal friend who is
> willing to help them, or they can get a paid support contract.  But
> this forum is not for them.  This forum is for *Debian* users who
> *do* want to know how their system works and are *willing* to work at
> it *and* help others.  It is not for Ubuntu users who don't know enough
> about their system to administer it, can't get adequate help from their
> fellow Ubuntu users on their own forum, and are too cheap to get a paid
> Ubuntu support contract.
>
> If you want to run Ubuntu, then run Ubuntu.  The choice is yours.  But
> don't come over here if you have problems.  Get help on the Ubuntu
> forum, ask a friend who also runs Ubuntu, or buy an Ubuntu support contract.
> *That's* what this thread is about!  This forum is, to paraphrase Abraham
> Lincoln,

I'm a Debian user, helping other users. I ask on the Ubuntu list when
appropriate and I ask on the Debian list when appropriate. Other than
this pointless thread, I do not post such off topic nonsense and
everything I ask here is applicable to Debian. I do not ask about the
Ubuntu installer or wallpaper.

>  ... A forum *of* the Debian users *by* the Debian users *for*
>  the Debian users.

Thank you, that's me.

> You're welcome to search our archives.

Thanks for being so generous. I thoroughly abuse those archives, don't
worry. I post only when my question is not answered there.

> But don't post here unless you
> run Debian, want to know how your system works, and are willing to help
> others as well as yourself.

If you haven't noticed, exactly what I am doing is learning how Debian
systems work in order to help others.

> I'm not trying to be unkind.  I have nothing
> against you personally.

I know, you did not attack me personally. I'm not sensitive, don't
worry! Some idiot on the kde-usability list did attack me personally
just yesterday, and I simply asked "why the personal attack" but in
this case I understand that your frustration is aimed at Ubuntards
dragging down the Debian list, not Dotan Cohen.

> But it is not fair for you to run another OS and
> then come over here asking for free help.

I disagree that I am:
1) running another OS
-or-
2) coming over here asking for free help

I ask Debian-related questions, and make an effort to learn. I then
apply that knowledge to help users of a Debian-based distro. I'm not
the one ruining your list, I promise.

> This is not a forum for users
> of all 250+ Debian-derived distributions.  This is a *Debian* forum.
> Period.

I therefore ask only Debian-related questions, and even then only
after extensively searching tfa and stfw. Where I apply that knowledge
is irrelevant.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.