Re: About USB hard drives and errors

Paul E Condon put forth on 4/10/2010 11:41 PM:

> So, the fact that my WD drives don't play well with S.M.A.R.T doesn't
> make them special, and I should not spend much, if any, time looking
> for a USB solution. What other options are there for external HD?

You're got 3 USB hard drives already, and you're throwing them out and
looking for another solution, just because they don't do S.M.A.R.T?  If
neither USB nor firewire do smart, you choices are very limited.

The only other realistic option I know of is eSATA, but a quick scan of
Newegg shows only 6 devices total, 2 DVR expander drives and 4 eSATA RAID
enclosures.  I have no idea if the DVR expander drives will work with a
standard PC setup.  They "should".  The two DVR drives are both 1TB and both
just under $130 USD, one Iomega and one Western Digital:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186175
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136384

Are you planning on connecting this drive to a laptop or desktop?  To
multiple computers or just one computer?

--
Stan