Re: Going wireless

On Fri, Apr 09, 2010 at 03:02:51PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> 1st of all, thanks everyone that responded.
>
> On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 16:16:57 +0200, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
>
> > Check http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
> >
> > I am particularly fond of wpa_supplicant in roaming mode [1] but you
> > might want to take a look at wicd or network-mangler as well.
>
> I've read many good words about wicd, an am planning to go for it.
>
> Just to be 100% sure, with wpa_supplicant (from the wpasupplicant
> package) in roaming mode, one doesn't necessarily need wicd, correct?
>
> Thanks

Wicd is the easiest wireless life but it has trouble with WEP keys. (There
is a previous thread.)

The graphic wicd client can time out two or three times over the WEP key at
my office before it eventually connects.  For some reason the curses version
rarely times out, and occasionally connects quickly.

I turned wicd off in runlevels and put the wicd-client on the menu.

For the office I made a function that enters the WEP key and the ssid with
iwconfig, then starts wicd, and the wicd-graphic clients comes up online
instead of spinning in circles like a headless chicken.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/