Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

Stephen Powell wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 23:00:39 -0400 (EDT), Dotan Cohen wrote:
Stephen Powell wrote:
For some reason, this well-known proverb is going through my head:

  Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
  Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

I'd rather learn to fish.

In this case it's:

 Take a rope off their necks and you save him today. (get him off Windows)
 Try to teach him what to do with a better rope and he will call you
 twice a day for the next four years (install Debian for him)
 Give him a rope made for babies and you'll both be happy (install Ubuntu)

(1) No need to CC me; I am subscribed to the list.

(2) I see that you (and a number of others) have had fun with parodies of
    the "give a fish / teach to fish" parable, but its point is still valid.

(3) If you are unwilling to teach, then there is no reason why your
    technological dependents would not be just as happy with an appropriately
    installed and configured Debian system as they would be with an Ubuntu
    system.

(4) If you are unwilling to teach, then don't come here for support, because
    that's what you're asking us to do.  Why should we do for you what you
    are not willing to do for others?

Stephen

  This is one of your *best* posts ever!

Years ago. this was how this list operated. Sadly it has changed over the years. Newcomers rush to this list for answers no matter how simple the problem is with no thought given to doing *any* research on the own.

I guess it may be a sign of the times. The world has changed over the past 16+ years since I first joined this list. Sadly, for this list, not for the better. Maybe if we stressed your points 2,3,4, it might change for the better. One can only hope.

Wayne