Re: Can only get Nvidia driver to work with 2.6.26

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, it's
>> working now with the 190.53 driver (installed using the nvidia
>> installer) and the 2.6.26 kernel, so I'm happy for now!
>
> Since an xorg update a few days ago, it's not working with anything.
> Compiling against the current stock 2.6.32 kernel, with the header
> package installed, works, but the X server crashes after showing the
> Nvidia splash screen briefly.  This is way too frustrating!  I'm able
> to start the X server with no xorg.conf, and the Xorg.0.log indicates
> that I'm using the nv driver (with no glx, because the Nvidia glx
> driver, which is still installed, doesn't work with the nv driver; is
> there one which does?).  I tried the latest nvidia packages from sid,
> but no joy there either (same symptoms).  I'm next going to try sgfxi,
> as Paul Cartwright suggested (thanks).  I need my GoogleEarth (and it
> needs functioning glx)!

Tried sgfxi - the script congratulated me on a successful install of
the latest driver, and then the X server failed again, showing me the
Nvidia splash screen for a moment, a couple of times.  The X server
works - I'm using it now, with the nv driver.  Shooooooot!

Patrick