Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

On Thursday 08 October 2009 19:16:17 Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:51:21 +0100
>
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 October 2009 17:44:15 Celejar wrote:

> > > I think that inittab should be sufficient.  Please post both your
> > > old and new inittab files.

> I admit that I've never actually used rungetty, but judging from the
> manpage, rungetty doesn't take a baudrate parameter (the '38400' that
> you have), presumably since it's designed for VTs and not for serial
> lines.  If I'm right, than rungetty is likely misinterpreting the
> baudrate as the tty line, and since it doesn't exist, it's dying.  Try
> omitting it and see what happens.

Bingo!  Many thanks both.

I had read the man page - but had not correctly interpretted it in relation to
inittab.  I had never previously editted it except to alter the default run
level.

The one fly in the ointment is that tty1 didn't launch.  Hopefully, for what I
am trying to achieve, it won't matter and I can shelve that problem for a
later day.

Lisi