apt/dpkg problems

I'm having the problems you can see in the following listing.  It looks
like I have invalid files in some path.  How can I find the
files/directories that can't be changed?  Is there a script I can look
at in the package db?

Thanks in advance

Preparing to replace dpkg 1.14.25 (using
.../archives/dpkg_1.14.25_arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up dpkg (1.14.25) ...
chown: changing ownership of `&x\b': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing dpkg (--configure):

Setting up dbus (1.2.1-5+lenny1) ...
The system user `messagebus' already exists. Exiting.
chown: changing ownership of `\371\271\b': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing dbus (--configure):

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dbus-x11:
 dbus-x11 depends on dbus; however:
  Package dbus is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing dbus-x11 (--configure):

Setting up netselect (0.3.ds1-12.1) ...
chown: changing ownership of `\267\354\024': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing netselect (--configure):

 dpkg
 dbus
 dbus-x11
 netselect