Re: lprng needed by AUCTeX?

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 01:06:16PM +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> I would like to know how you decided to install the "cups" package, since its
> description says it provides a print *server*.

Well, three reasons:

a) I thought a print server would provide print services, and that's
what I wanted. I run plenty of other programs that provide services.

b) The printing I have been doing I thought was the result of my
having installed cups, but it was actually because I had long before
installed lprng and had never uninstalled it.

c) Also, "cups-bsd" sounded exotic, for I've no idea what
the relation is of BSD and Debian. If I encountered cups-windows, I'd
avoid it for the same reason.

I mention this to show how ignorance let me down.

> Nevertheless the cups package
> depends on the package "cups-clients" which contains "client programs (SysV)",
> i.e., the lp command for submitting a print job.
>
> So you don'nt need another package for printing with dvips, just change the
> configuration of dvips in /etc/texmf/dvips/config/config.ps line 20 should then
> read (see comments in this file)
>
> %o |lp

Ah, that's very simple - thanks. Now that I've installed cups-bsd
there's no point in making the change, but good to know.

Haines Brown