Re: lprng needed by AUCTeX?

brownh wrote:
The answer is already on your system, if you had done some
research. You seem to want others to research for you.

Have you installed the cups-bsd package?

Not sure what "on my system" means. The information associated with the packages for cups and auctex did not say I had to install cups-bsd
(the AUCTeX description only "suggested" cups-bsd, not that it was
mandatory if I expected to print anything). If by researching you mean
reading the AUCTeX manual, I don't recall it said anything about
this, but perhaps I missed it. You imply I should have done something I failed to do, but I'm unsure of exactly what.

My debian system is a tool, not a hobby nor has any relevance at all to my work, which takes up all my time, days, evenings, weekends. Are you suggesting that if I cannot afford to make playing with debian a good part of my life I shouldn't mess with it?

Not at all. What I am trying to do is to show you how to use the tools Debian has to help you solve this and future problems, yourself.

IF you have the Debian-reference package installed, you could have used it to find the answer.

IF you have apt-cache installed you could have asked it for the answer
apt-cache search lpr |grep cups

Or You could have used Google to search (Debian + CUPS + "lpr") and read the first 2 links and found the answer.

I did not ask that anyone do research for me, but merely sought simple answers to questions that anyone at all proficient with debian probably can answer off the top of their head.

Without looking for the answer even on google.  That is my point.

Sorry that this irked you. I'm one of those old fashioned folks who still like to hold doors open for someone else even if they don't appear to need the help.

So am I. What bothers those of us that have been on this list for 15+ years is when people use this list as the first resource. We don't mind helping those that, at least try, to help themselves.

You will notice I did not tell you the RTFM.  That has been deemed rude
and not helpful. I have tried, in what I consider a non-rude way, to assist you and help educate you, and others, of the fact that Debian has tools included to help you solve problems. If this is offensive to you, I am sorry. I'm sure 'someone' else will try to help you.

I have not installed the cups-bsd package, but will do so in the hope
that it might somehow take care of my problem (you did not explictly
say it would). Of course, if that works, that answers only one of my questions.

You could also do
apt-cache show cups-bsd. If you had used that tool you would have read that the cups-bsd package contains the lpr and lpd programs.

You could have then done a dpkg -S /usr/bin/lpr and dpkg whuld have shown you that the lpr program is in the cups-bsd package.

Class is over.

Wayne