Re: Fast booting for a Debian system - and suggestions for said system

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> As for speeding up the bootprocess:
>
> # aptitude install dash
> # dpkg-reconfigure dash # let it take over the /bin/sh link

That saved me 1s.

> # aptitude install insserv
> # dpkg-reconfigure insserv

That *cost* me 2s (i.e., 2s longer to boot).

> # echo "CONCURRENCY=shell" >> /etc/default/rcS

That saved me 2s.

> If you want to measure the increase use bootchart.

Very useful.  Thanks for the tips Andrei!

Other results on my ThinkPad (YMMV):

Configuring exim4 for minimal DNS queries saved me 1s.

Replacing exim4 with nullmailer saved 2s compared to the default exim4.

John