Re: problem installing new packages

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Bernard wrote:
> I just tried something new... a really hazardous test... but since I was
> nearly ready to reinstall my Lenny, I thought I could take another
> chance.
>
> Since all error messages mentioned that 'ldconfig' was missing, I
> checked my DELL laptop on Ubuntu 8.04, which was released about the same
> date as Debian Lenny. On that Ubuntu system, I found two executable
> files that are absent from my Debian system : /usr/sbin/ldconfig and
> /sbin/ldconfig.real. Such files must have been on my system at one time,
> since the man file is still there ; the executable may have been erased
> by God only knows what evil process. So, I recuperated those two files
> from my Ubuntu system and copied them into the same directories with the
> same rights on my Debian machine. Then I typed :

How do you know those files from  Ubuntu system works on Debian.  I do
not think you even checked version.  There is no binary compatibility
gurantee even though it works sometims.

FYI: I only have /sbin/ldconfig and no /sbin/ldconfig.real on my lenny.

Your action may have work as emergency tactics but this kind of action
requires full reinstall after backing up your data on the system.

It looks to me you have broken system sometime ago by yourself.
Reinstall is the easiest way to get same state for such case.

Osamu