Initial Installation -- Unknown Mode H 74.9KHZ V 59.9HZ Going to Sleep

Version: Debian 5.0.2a-i386

The Bug: Computer goes to sleep during the boot process.

During the initial boot, after the setup text has scrolled down the screen and just before the logon
screen should appear, I receive the message:

UNKNOWN MODE
H 74.9KHZ V 59.9HZ
GOING TO SLEEP

After the message has been on the screen for maybe ten seconds, the screen goes black, the computer
goes to sleep and that is all she wrote, the machine can only be awakened by pushing the power
button to shut it off.

I uninstalled a working version of Debian 4.0 by deleting the partition on which it was installed
and reinitialized the partition before performing a clean installation of Debian 5.0.2. This is my
third clean installation of 5.0 with the same result. The first two installations were performed
with two different CD's from two different downloads. This last attempt was done using net-install.

My machine is dual boot with Ubuntu and Puppy (Both of which work fine).

Any suggestions on how to work through the initial triage of this bug?

George

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag