SOLVED: Re: VMI support in lenny kernel 2.6.26-2-686

Justin The Cynical wrote:
Short version:

Does a stock 2.6.26-2-686 32-bit lenny kernel have vmi support compiled in?

*snip*

Figured this out today.

Apparently VMWare, in their infinite wisdom, made VMI support depend on the guest OS selection. As etch (the latest supported debian version) didn't apparently have VMI support in the kernel, it's disabled and not selectable.

Adding the VMI line in the VM config file didn't work for two reasons:

If I touched the VM config via the UI, it removed the added line as long as it was set to debian4

I forgot to shut down the VM after making a change to the file. Note for those who may wonder: Rebooting the guest alone doesn't work.

So, changing the guest OS setting to ubuntu and enabling the VMI option let it work and I see the correct lines in dmesg now.

I don't know if it's due to the restarts or the setting changes, but my load average dropped from an average of 4 to less than 2. Will have to wait and see if it's stable with the setting at ubuntu (I don't know if that option makes any real difference, or if it does, if ubuntu is close enough to debian for it to work correctly).