Re: Emacs23 encoding

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 01:03:04PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > If I type the following word: "lêers" in my text it show up correctly
> > in the immediate buffer, but later (after a save of the buffer)
> > becomes  "lêers".
>
> What is the value of the buffer-file-coding-system variable?

After my previous email I kept on trying different configurations and
it seems to be working now.  I really don't know what made the
difference in the end.

I actually forgot to search for "coding" using "apropos" and only made
use of the configuration menu's of emacs.

The value of buffer-file-coding-system is iso-latin-1-unix at the
moment.

> > I have tried several options setting the encoding to iso-8599-1 or
> > latin-1 but with limited success.
> >
> > So my question: What can I do to convince emacs23 to keep 'lêers'
> > 'lêers'?
>
> Make sure you use the right input encoding.  Emacs deduces the
> coding-system from the "\usepackage[<encoding>]{inputenc}" directive of
> your file.  Do you have such a line in your file, and with which
> encoding?
I was already using "\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}" .

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4599

     "And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto
      you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat:
      neither for the body, what ye shall put on. The life
      is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
      Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap;
      which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God
      feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls!
      Consider the lilies, how they grow: they toil
      not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that
      Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of
      these. If then God so clothe the grass, which is to
      day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven;
      how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little
      faith? And seek not what ye shall eat, or what ye
      shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
      But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these
      things shall be added unto you."
                              Luke 12:22-24; 27-29; 31.