Re: Fast booting for a Debian system - and suggestions for said system

On Wed,02.Sep.09, 03:44:50, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 06:46:36PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > As for speeding up the bootprocess:
> >
> > # aptitude install dash
> > # dpkg-reconfigure dash # let it take over the /bin/sh link
> > # aptitude install insserv
>
> apt-cache show insserv
> [..]
> This package should be used with care, as incorrect or missing
> dependencies can lead to an unbootable system.
>
> Is it really a *good* idea to suggest this?

Dependency based boot system was a release goal for Lenny. I don't
recall why it didn't make it, but AFAIK missing or incorrect dependency
informations in the init.d scripts have been fixed.

Also, I wouldn't have suggested this without testing. I have used
insserv on various machines since lenny was still testing without any
problems.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)