Re: udev won't let me change my network interface?

On 2009-09-01 07:07, C. G. Montgomery wrote:
Andrei Popescu andreimpopescu@gmail.com wrote:

On Mon,31.Aug.09, 22:26:06, C. G. Montgomery wrote:
No, there is just one ethernet port.  Eventually I will want to set up
a local network with several machines using the DSL, but for now I just
want a single cable from the DSL modem to the PC, and a single network
interface besides the loopback.
And by which means is the DSL modem connected to the PC? (I'm guessing
USB). If the modem is not connected via an existing (and recognized)
network interface you have to make sure Linux has the drivers for your
modem. Otherwise you will have to connect the modem via ethernet (if it
has this option). It might help if you tell us the exact model of the
DSL modem.

Regards,
Andrei

The DSL modem is a zoom ADSL X4.  It includes a router, gateway, firewall,

If it's a router, then it should have more than one Ethernet jack, right?

etc.  The connection to the PC is an ethernet cable.  At the moment I
have only one ethernet cable.  When I run the cable from the modem to a
Mac laptop, everything works automagically.  But I want to use the cable
to connect the modem to the Debian box some of the time, and that's where
I have problems.

Eventually I intend to have a more complex setup, but that will require
new hardware -- probably an ethernet hub and more cables.  But in the

A $30 switch and another cable.

meantime I'd like to use my one cable to connect the DSL modem to the
Debian box (actually to either of two Debian boxes, one at a time).

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!