RE: udev won't let me change my network interface?

Kevin Ross Kevin@FamilyRoss.net wrote:

> Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to change the name of the
> device.  Edit /etc/network/interfaces to change its configuration (IP
> address, DHCP or static, etc).  The names must match in both files.

I will try this and report the results.

When I first tried changing the interface, I edited
/etc/network/interfaces as I described and removed the
file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules, and then rebooted.  The
latter file was recreated during the boot process, by some script invoked
by some other script invoked by ....  This is where I get lost.  I don't
know where those programs found the old eth0 information to put in the
new rules file that was created.

But I will try writing a new rules file; maybe that will work.

Is there some set of services I can restart instead of doing a full reboot
to update the network interface?

cgm