Re: ProcMail, WAS: Re: Fetchmail and Gmail

On 2009-09-01 04:51, Paul Cartwright wrote:
[snip]

right now, on my system I have icedove, evolution, kmail, and claws, all setup for my local user. procmail seems to move the mail into an mbox file, and I haven't figured out how to get any email program to read an mbox folder.

But you see, that's the beauty of IMAP: the MUA does not know nor care where the email is stored, or how it's stored.

If this is a remotely accessible machine, you also have the advantage of
being able to use a gui mail client locally and a text one remotely or
serve your folders via an imap server and then you are not limited at all.

tell me about this " text one remotely".. I can ssh into my box, but this

Text-based MUA.

file, being mbox, isn't easily readable, or is this where mutt comes in?
actually it is a folder of mbox files.. when I checked yesterday, there were 250 files..

Store your email "in" an IMAP daemon, i.e., let the imapd worry about where and how it stores all your email in one central location.

Then, no matter where you are in the world, using whatever kind of client machine, you can access your email.

So, you can ssh into your home machine, then run Mutt/Alpine, or run Mutt/Alpine/Outlook/Tbird/Claws on a remote machine, and give it your home machine's IP address, your username and password. (For that, though, you'd need to also run imapsd.)

Or... run a web server and webmail app on your home machine, and remotely access your email that way.

Bottom line: unless you are rooted to one MUA on one machine, IMAP is *the* way to go...

--
Brawndo's got what plants crave.  It's got electrolytes!