Re: ProcMail, WAS: Re: Fetchmail and Gmail

On Tue August 25 2009, Micha wrote:
> > what benefit would I get from procmail?
>
> 1. The ability to move from kmail to something else if you want without
> rewriting your rules.

good idea.. I like that, especially when testing different email programs.

> 2. The ability to pull mail without having kmail running (via a cron job or
> fetchmail daemon)
I do that now with fetchmail, it brings it all in to my /var/mail/user

> 3. Text file with regular expression based rules that you know where it
> resides and can back it up and human read it

this I DO like ! the ability to use filters across email programs.

> If you don't care about these three than nothing (some consider the third a
> downside, not an improvement but that's personal preference not an
> absolute)
>
> On the downside, if you want to explicitly pull mail now, pulling mail from
> kmail doesn't pull the mail off your accounts, you need to do that
> explicitly from the command line
>
> It's all down to personal preferences.
>
> I played around a lot at the time looking for a mail client I'd be happy
> with (Still haven't found one) and worked quite a bit with mutt (I'm not
> sure if it even supports pulling mail itself) so fetchmail + procmail was
> the best option for me.

right now, on my system I have icedove, evolution, kmail, and claws, all setup
for my local user. procmail seems to move the mail into an mbox file, and I
haven't figured out how to get any email program to read an mbox folder.

> If this is a remotely accessible machine, you also have the advantage of
> being able to use a gui mail client locally and a text one remotely or
> serve your folders via an imap server and then you are not limited at all.

tell me about this " text one remotely".. I can ssh into my box, but this
file, being mbox, isn't easily readable, or is this where mutt comes in?
actually it is a folder of mbox files.. when I checked yesterday, there were
250 files..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800