Problem installing nvidia driver after upgrading from etch to lenny...

Greetings,

I have just upgraded from "etch" to "lenny" on my PC (kernel 2.6.26-2-686)
I had installed the nvidia driver for NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Graphics Card which was working OK,
(Version 173.14.05 under etch)

After the upgrade, gdm was crashing saying it couldn't find the driver;
When I tried to reinstall it, the installer complained about the version of gcc,
saying it didn't exactly match the compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1).
The installed compiler is:

gcc (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) 4.3.2

I downloaded the latest version of the nvidia driver (185.18.31) from the website;
the same error message occurred...

Does anybody have any hints on how to get the driver loaded into a kernel???

Is it OK to ignore the version check?

TIA. fcG.