Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

* Siggy Brentrup <debian@psycho.i21k.de> [2009 Aug 03 01:45 -0500]:

Thanks for your explanation.

> IMHO it was a fault to make bash essential in the early days of Debian
> which nobody saw - with dash not yet available and shell functionality
> required.

Indeed, however, had a choice been made to keep scripts POSIX
compliant, the use of Bash wouldn't have been an issue.  In other
words, running Bash as a POSIX compliant shell would have allowed the
use of another POSIX compliant shell.

> Hoping this lengthy discourse answers your questions

Yes, thanks.  Sometime after posting my message it dawned on me that
POSIX compliant startup scripts and performance are the drivers of this
effort.

- Nate >>