Re: HOWTO enhance Debian by removing HAL

On 2009-08-02 01:29, Osamu Aoki wrote:
On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 01:29:56PM +0200, Dirk wrote:
Hello,

i would like to start a thread where everyone posts his solution for removing HAL or says why "nanny-features" like HAL shouldn't be enforced in Linux.

Disable HAL in Xorg on Debian / Ubuntu

http://www.larsen-b.com/Article/341.html

Disable automatic polling of CD/DVD-ROM drives to save power (and time)

http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/07/24/tip-disable-automatic-polling-of-cd-roms-to-save-power/

I wonder why people who need "nanny-features" like HAL refuse to just use windows instead.

Hmmm ... convenience?
If you push such thought, ...  Why even have X ... we can edit
everything by ed command.  No vi(m), no emacs, .... and few essential
packages only will get to use Debian.

And bash: go back to the bourne shell. No ethernet, either: tty to an ADM-3A... But who can forget the "convenience" of a modern processor?

I say Minix on an XT clone with 1 floppy drive!!!

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer