Re: Mail transfer agent and Active Directory

On Sat, Aug 01, 2009 at 01:34:09PM +0200, pch0317 wrote:
> Hello
> I have 150 users in my network. I want to change MsExchange to open MTA.
>
> 1. Is there any open MTA which cooperate with Active Directory or
> eDirectory? I don't want to create 150 user account. I would like to it
> still work even when Active Directory password change (password change
> every month).

I played around a bit with Exim in an Active Directory environment.  It
worked in my limited testing.  I configured pam to authenticate to AD.
Once the machine was aware of the AD users, Exim worked seamlessly.  I
imagine the same would be true for all/most MTAs.

> 2. Is there any MTA which have integrated IMAP or POP server? If no,
> which IMAP or POP server choose.

I'm not really qualified to recommend one, but I used dovecot and it worked
fine.  It was easy to set up, too.  I was using IMAPS exclusively.

This was all done on a Debian Etch server, authenticating to a Windows 2003
Active Directory server.  My mail was sent and received through a smarthost
at the parent company (where it was scanned for spam, then got appended to
it a huge privacy disclaimer against my will).

-Rob