SOLVED, Re: amd64 install hangs installing base system

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 11:11:22AM -0500, Victor Padro wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 3:16 AM, <gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to install 5.0.1, amd64 to an MSI motherboard with and Athlon 64
> > processor.  I get as far as installing the base system, then at 27%,
> > "extracting login" the system hangs.  Any thoughts?
> >
> > The iso image passed and md5 check sum, and I tried burning it three times,
> > so I'm pretty sure there are no problems with the installation media.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to the cause or how to work around it will be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >

> > Thanks,

> Please state your hardware specs.
>
> Could be a hard drive failure?
> Memory failure?

Yep.

> Do a memory test, and check your hard drive using any tool you may have.

Thing is, I ran memtest86+ last night but it the computer froze midway
through test #3 of the first pass.  I assumed it was because I was running
a 32 bit version of memtest on a 64 bit architecture, but lacking anything
better to try, I ran it again.  Sure enough, there was a bad stick.  It was
a bit surprising since the memory recently tested fine in another machine.

Anyway, prob solved.  Thanks for your suggestions.

gc