Re: update issue when /tmp is noexec

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:55:57PM +0100, Russell Gadd wrote:
> I had to look up the meaning of idempotent, a most apt word if I may say so
> (pun not really intended but serendipitous anyway!). Your answers are very
> full and much appreciated.
>
> >You can find preinst/postinst and other package tracking stuff under
> > /var/lib/dpkg/info.
>
> I had one look at this directory and gave up the idea of trying to run these
> scripts, I think I'd be out of my depth. Reinstallation would be easier for
> me. However I don't have any reason to believe my system is faulty through a
> failure in updates so for the present I'll choose to be comforted by your
> belief that it hasn't caused any problems.

i used to see a lot of errors when updating perl* debs.  I found just
doing a reinstall fixed that

--
"Another example would be the Dred Scott case, which is where judges, years ago, said that the Constitution allowed slavery because of personal property rights. That's a personal opinion. That's not what the Constitution says. The Constitution of the United States says we're all --you know, it doesn't say that. It doesn't speak to the equality of America."

	- George W. Bush
10/08/2004
St. Louis, MO
Second presidential debate