Re: Can't boot into Lenny from Etch partition

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> Did you add an entry for Lenny in the menu.lst of Etch? If you have grub
> installed on the Lenny partition you can chainload grub from the grub in
> MBR.

>> Of course I did.  I copied the Lenny entry from Lenny's menu.lst:

> Ok, next I'd try booting "by hand". That is, instead of letting grub
> (try to) do it's magic get a grub command line (I think you need to
> press 'c') and run those commands by hand. grub's tab-completion can
> help too.

Fantastic.  At boot time, I pressed `c' and got a grub command line.  Then I
entered those commands, the same written in menu.lst: root...,
kernel... etcetera.  And... after the `kernel' line and `enter', grub produced
the same error:

 Error 2: Bad file or directory type

As I said, those settings are copied from Lenny's menu.lst.  For a strange
reason they don't work from Etch, neither by hand.

Rodolfo