Re: 64Bit installation on a 500 GB Sata DRIVE

On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 13:51 +0800, 明覺 wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Rod James Bio <rjubio@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We've been doing an installation on this LTSP Server we are trying to
> > build. While formatting the 500 GB HD the partitioning
> > process is stock at 33%.

Yes, hardware failure (hard disk or memory).
Go to your hard-disk manufacturer website, download the tool to test the
harddisk, then run the test.
Then use memtest to test your memory.

What's your motherboard chipset? Is your SATA controller configured in
AHCI or Compatibility mode ? (try switching to the other)

> > Anyway just for additional information:
> > I tried using lenny 64bit installer to no avail and 32bit installation is
> > successful but we want to use 64bit because the machine has 5GB of memory so
> > as to maximize the memory.

FYI, Debian i386 has a kernel flavor named bigmem, which supports up to
64GB (PAE see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension )

But unless you have a specific need to use stick to 32bit kernel
(driver, old application [in]compatibility), it is wise to move to
64bits.

> I donot have experience in it, if I encountered this problem, I would
> try to use the gNewSense livecd to partition the harddisk, and after
> that, install the 64bit debian. here is the gNewSense livecd,
> http://www.gnewsense.org/index.php?n=Main.Download

1. No FUD please. Debian-installer's partman works.
2. Formating with another tool is unlikely to help (because you still
   have to proceed through the installation)
3. Debian has it's own DebianLive CD

Regards,

Franklin