man pages sometimes blank initially

Hello,

Occasionally, when I view a man page, the man page shows up blank.
It's not completely blank... there will be maybe blank 10 lines,
followed by the less status line (eg. "Manual page
emacs(1emacs-snapshot) line 1"), followed by blank lines.  If I press
the "up arrow" key, the man page displays normally.  After this, when
I invoke man, the man pages display normally for a while.

This has been happening to me for a long time, but I haven't been able
to determine how to reproduce it.  Has anyone else seen this issue,
and is there a way to fix it?

Thank you,
Jason