Update notifier not requesting root privileges

Hello

After having a recent fresh installation, I've noticed that the update notifier no longer seeks root privileges before downloading/ installing software packages.

This is not a big concern as I am the only user. However, I do like the reassurance of having to deliberately do things as root, so I would like it to not proceed without root permissions.

How do I set it up, so that the root password is asked for automatically?

I am using Squeeze  (freshly squeezed as of May 30th).

Thanks

AG