Big Database Server General Question

I'm asking this question to find out what keywords to search for, not really looking for a specific answer here.

When there is a huge database involved with a lot of users and lots of data it isn't done all with one computer and a fast connection. I'm generally interested in how requests directed to a particular database are divided up among several servers which run the queries and return the results (Google, Wikipedia, eBay, etc.)

What are the general terms that describe that sort of architecture? My searching isn't getting too far and I believe it's because I don't know the right questions to ask.

Thank you in advance.

Tim