Re: lvm and multiboot

2009/4/2 Celejar <celejar@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:18:36 -0500
> zhang zhengquan <zhang.zhengquan@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Only /boot needs to be on a non-LVM volume.  I always partition my root
>> > drives with a 100-200MB /boot partition and the rest as a single
>> > partition devoted to LVM.  Actually, I also do that for
>> > secondary&external drives, where the small "boot" partition is simply
>> > left unused (but can come in handy if I ever need to switch drives
>> > around).
>> why is the boot partition left unused, it is supposed to contain kernel
>> images, right? Besides, if you use the rest as a single partition, is
>> that possible to create separate partitions for /var /usr etc?
>
> He means that the boot partitions of his secondary and external drives
> are unused, since /boot only exists on his root drive.  /var and /usr
> can be created as logical volumes on top of the single partition used
> by LVM
>
> Celejar
So if I understand it correctly it is not multiboot situation.
That is great idea and really gives me lots of flexibility resizing
partitions.

If I use lvm for the rest of the drive except /boot, can I possibly
reduce the size of the lvm volume group and get some free space
unformatted not controlled by lvm?

Thank you,
Zhengquan