usb drive (ntfs file system) not mounted automatically in debian 5.0 lenny

I have debian 5.0 lenny installed on my laptop; with windows xp service pack 2 installed in separate partitions of hard drive.
my flash drive (vfat filesystem) is automatically mounted when it's plugged into usb port.
But my external hard drive and windows partition drive (both ntfs filesystem) are not automatically mounted; though they are detected. (It shows "error while mounting")
When I try to give the mount point and filesystem entries by entering into properties section it says "cannot obtain lock on media.h-mtab."

So, I entered as super user through command line and mounted the drives from there by giving command "mount -t ntfs <device> <mount point>".
I also changed the file permissions by giving command "chmod -R 777 <drive path>"
I am able to access it through command line; but through graphical environment it says that "the contents of the folder cannot be displayed, because you don't have permissions".

Please let me know how to access my drives through graphical desktop environment, as it's easy to navigate.

Regards,

Vivek Sahukar