Re: To synchronize system time witn NTP-server with no winter time shift whole year - how to?

On Sunday 29 March 2009 17:49:22 Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 2009-03-29_16:19:28, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > > I'm not OP, but I think I also want what, I believe, he wants, namely:
> > > A locale that I can select that will give me text displays of the
> > > time, and text displays of file mtimes that do not mention, or use,
> > > summer time, ever. Is there such a wrong-thinker/outlier variation of
> > > locale? A sort of a sub-culture locale, that isn't really an fully
> > > accurate reflection of the dominant culture in my geographic region?
> > >
> > > For me, summer-time has always been something of an annoyance. With
> > > the spread of computers in the sixties and seventies, I had hoped that
> > > limitations of technology might kill summer-time. Instead, computer
> > > technology has become an enabler of a feature of my culture that I do
> > > not like.
> > >
> > > And let's see what OP was really asking for also.
> >
> > I'm a bit lost on this.  When I install Lenny I am asked when I choose a
> > timezone whether I want the system time (as opposed to hwclock, which I
> > keep in UTC (or GMT)) to be adjusted for summer time or not.  I say yes.
> > So that is what I get.  Could someone please explain, I genuinely don't
> > understand :-(, why it is so difficult to say no?  There presumably is a
> > reason.  Is it a bug?  Am I just very lucky?
> >
> > Lisi
>
> A few weeks ago, my Lenny system switched over from displaying time in MST
> (Mountain Standard Time) to MDT (Mountain Daylight Time). It did this, I
> believe, because the switch-over is mandated in the official locale coding
> for this region (Colorado). I would like to now how to take a pass on this
> switch-over part of the local locale. And how to do it ahead of time, so
> that for me, I don't have to find an unwanted task of undoing a unwanted
> change waiting on a Sunday morning. My version of what I think OP was
> asking for is a variant of locale that does not honor local mandates for
> switching to and from summer-time. It is very much a cultural thing.

But my locale is set to the UK, and we have summer time (or daylight saving
time).  We lost the hour from 1:00 to 2:00 last night.  So are you saying
that the choice I am given is a non-choice and that I would get the same
thing even if I answered no?  Or are you saying that some locales are more
dictatorial than others?

Lisi
Lisi