Re: Problem accessing external usb drive in non superuser mode

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sb,28.mar.09, 10:50:47, Bryce wrote:
>
>> Sorry about the missing 'ntfs'.  Here's the line from my fstab that
>> allows me to mount as an ordinary user:
>
> Mounting works, of course, due to the 'users' option. How about
> accessing the files?
>
>> /dev/disk/by-label/win2k   /media/win2k  ntfs
>> noauto,users,noexec,ro,dmask=0022,fmask=0133,nls=utf8  0 0
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> If you can access the files like this then the manpage is buggy, because
> it doesn't mention those options for ntfs (they do exist for ntfs-3g and
> vfat though). Also according to the manpage the files on ntfs shouldn't
> be readable by anyone except root, unless you use 'uid=' or 'gid='
> options.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Accessing (reading files & directories) works as well.
As evidence, I present \WINNT\system32\prodspec.ini:
;
;Note to user: DO NOT ALTER OR DELETE THIS FILE.
;
[SMS Inventory Identification]
Version=1.0

[Product Specification]
Product=Windows 2000 Professional

Version=5.0
Localization=English
ServicePackNumber=0
BitVersion=40
[Version]
DriverVer=11/14/1999,5.00.2183.1
... and I'm logged in as (unsuperuser) me.