Re: Question about get-selections

Paul E Condon wrote at 2009-03-27 16:35 -0600:
> On 2009-03-27_13:53:14, green wrote:
> > I think I have minimally tested these commands, but it has been a while.  It
> > would be great if someone could try this out and add a wiki page for it.
>
> Well, I'm going to try it out, I can't promise a wiki that anyone would care to
> look at. We'll see how it goes...

Sounds acceptable.  :)

> > Of course, it would likely help to restore a /etc/apt backup before doing any
> > of the restore commands.  Obviously a different sources.list would cause
> > problems.
>
> In my idea of a good backup, I take a complete copy of all of /etc, so I already
> am getting all of /etc/apt, as well as my exim4 configs, and all the other stuff
> for which it is easy to forget the details under the pressure of a disaster
> recovery situation. So /etc/apt seemed a natural place to put the selections, but
> Andrei has another good idea.

I use /var/local/backups because I backup /var; to each his own of course.
Without some of the obviously unnecessary (and large) portions (found with
ncdu), mine is about 0.4G.

> > Lastly, I don't think it is possible to restore the package set perfectly if
> > much time has passed between the backup and the restore, because of changes in
> > package versions; the more time passes, the more the package set will have to
> > change for a restore.  This is why I have added the backup command that saves
> > the versions for all installed packages.  The only way to get around this is to
> > have a backup of debs for ALL installed packages.
>
> I think you are too demanding. Your standards of automation are too
> high. When I think of an automatic restore, I think of it being a
> situation where my system was distroyed or corrupted while I was away
> from home. The time lapse from the last time the system was working
> properly (and the last backup was made) until I try to restore is a
> few hours to a few months. In the case of a few months, I might not
> want an exact restore because there might have been security fixes
> released that I would want to include in the new system.

Well, I have just tried to think of all the possible problems.
In the time I have used Debian, I don't recall ever having needed to do a
reinstall (hence the 'minimally tested').  Every install has been a new one for
a system on which Debian has not yet been run.  Of course this could be applied
to that even also I suppose...