hp proliant dl380 g5 intermittent network connectivity issues (debian lenny 5.0)

Got some serious issues with a brand new hp dl380 g5 running debian
lenny.

The machine seems to have issues with intermittent network connectivity.
It'll work for awhile and then stop working. The real bugger is that I'm
having diagnose this remotely.

Initially we thought it was a bad hp NC360T add-on card (intel e1000e
driver based card, which debian had setup as eth0 and 1).  I switched
the interfaces to use the internal ethernet (eth2 and 3) which I believe
is a bnx2 based chipset.

It worked and I thought that fixed the issue until about 9 hours later
it started doing the exact same thing (no connectivity, or it'll start a
connection and then the connection will lock up).

I've got these people going over all the network/firewall/switch/routers
to make 100% sure its not a networking issue, but I'm pretty sure its
something with the actual server itself.

I've also got an admin running hp's diagnostic cd against the machine
(i'm guessing, its something similar to dell's linux diagnostics cd)

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Maybe an IRQ sharing issue
(only guessing cuz I was reading other posts talking about issues with
HPs and shared IRQs here on HP's IT resource forums)?

The messed up thing is there is NO indicator of any issues in the dmesg
output on the server.  Ugh :(