Re: testing microphone - how?

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 18:51, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 17:21:06 Thorny wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:26:33 +0000, Lisi Reisz posted:
> > > I am trying to test a microphone by some method other than ringing the
> > > same poor person repeatedly by VOIP.
> > >
> > > I have tried to run record applications, but cannot seem to get the
> > > applications going (so far Audacity and KRec).
> >
> > Hi Lisi,
>
> Hi, Thorny,
>
> > This sounds interesting. Why can't you get them going
>
> I have no idea - I have never used either but would like them to try and
> record something so that I can test the mike.
>
> > and what do you mean
> > by "going"?
>
> I can't persuade them to do anything recognisable to me.  But then I have
> never before tried to use a mike on a computer.  All I want to use it for
> now, is to use Twinkle to make telephone calls.  But I so far only have one
> SipGate number - and there is a limit to how often I feel able to make the
> poor chap on the other end of it carry on a one-sided conversation.
>
> > I suppose you've already checked in your mixer that mic input isn't
> > muted, eh?
>
> Yes.  Everything is on maximum in KMix, and I tried to set "capture" and
> "+20" and various other bits in alsamixergui.  Not very successfully
> because I can't make sense of the colours and symbols and alsamixer doesn't
> go in for words much. :-(   I shall persue this line a bit more.
>
> > What is your soundcard,
>
> Card: NVidia nForce2, chip: Realtek ALC650F
>
> > any known issues with it with Lenny, if that is
> > what you use?
>
> D'oh!  I haven't checked.  Everything else I have thrown at it has Just
> Worked, including the earphone part of this headset.
>
> I did have to adjust the mixer settings to get it to work, way back in the
> mists of time when I first went from Etch to Lenny, tho' it had worked fine
> in Sarge and Etch.  And I have just finally found the thread about this
> from when it happened, and have not yet worked thro' it all.  I was looking
> on the wrong list - it was on Debian Women, not here.
>
> But I have recently reinstalled Lenny, and deliberately lost all my config
> files (It's a long story.....) and audio is working fine still.
>
> > ALSA working fine for other sounds on your system?
>
> See above.  No problems at all with playing sound - and I actually think
> that it may now (after my last lot of fiddling) be transmitting/recording
> sound. I just need to test it somehow!  While sparing my poor friend - I
> don't want him to become an ex-friend. ;-)
>
> I have yet to try Sinan Can İmamoğlu's suggestions, tho' I shall certainly
> do so.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

Hi Lisi.

I have used Krecord before, but you have to check the  "full duplex"  box in
KDE's control centre > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System > Hardware, and
that'assuming that the KDE sound server is running, otherwise the "full
duplex" checkbox is greyed out.

Personally I use MhWaveedit for recording. Normally I compile it from source,
but it is available on some Debian based installs from their repo's.

Nigel.