Re: 64 vs 32 lenny

> Well, I guess that is a matter of philosophy.  I did not think a bigmem
> kernel was "stock".

AFAIK "stock kernel" in this context means that I did not build my own.
I just "aptitude install linux-image-2.6.28-1-686-bigmem" and go on with
my life.

> Also, we might have a discussion of the meaning of the phrase "in
> practice".  Personally, my "practice" is to use a 64-bit system.

Well, you said "but in practice, 64-bit is required", so if your
"practice" is to use a 64bit system, then indeed your statement is true,
tho vacuously so.

> But I was wrong about it.  How does a bigmem kernel address the full
> 4 GB?

Via PAE, AFAIK,

        Stefan