Re: any tool to produce a report of bad sectors of my harddisk?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:23:26PM -0700, Jeff D wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, 明覺 wrote:
>
> > As my machine crashed 2 times in the last 10 days, both caused by file
> > system issues, so I want to get a report of my harddisk to know
> > whether my harddisk is really in a very bad situation.(though
> > currently my harddisk works fine, but I'm afraid it will crash in a
> > few days.) What tool can tell me the situation of my harddisk? thanks.
> >

> badblocks should help you out a little with this, but I'd start looking
> into making sure you have everything backed up and get a new disk as it
> sounds like the one you have is on the way out.
>
> Jeff

If the disk's internal block relocation scheme lets bad blocks through
to badblocks(8) then the disk is already really badly damaged. The disk
reports a relocation count through smart. See previous reply for how to
access this information. However your error does sound like something is
physically wrong with the disk.