Re: 64 vs 32 lenny

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:22:58 +0000
Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:

> > Interesting... If one has 32-bit installed, is there some sort of
> > upgrade / overwrite to the 64-bit version?
>
> At present, i386 and amd64 are basically completely separate
> architectures.  This means you'll need to install amd64 from
> scratch, either dual-booting with or overwriting your existing
> i386 installation.
>
> In the future, with multiarch, things might get a bit more
> flexible.
>
> Since I built a new system (Core2 quad) which is a amd64 chip,
> there really wasn't any benefit to not using a 64 bit operating
> system, so I just installed amd64 Lenny on it.  If you really
> need to run 32 bit programs, you can install compatibility
> libraries or run a virtual 32bit i386 system in a chroot
> (check out my schroot package for an easy way to do that).
>

> Regards,
> Roger

I went ahead and installed the 64 bit version. I'm actually very happy
at the performance.

I see the difference while running Amarok, then loading up some pages
within IceW along with pulling in email and I don't get the audio
"studder" I did under the 32 bit version.

Well done.

--
Best regards,

Chris