Re: Stock kernel - it works everywhere because?

Quoth Stefan Monnier at 2009-03-21 00:15...
one that I use) requires me to re-build the kernel so that it and the VMware
modules are compiled with the same version of gcc.

Are you sure that module-assistant wouldn't be able to build the module
you need without having to rebuild the whole kernel?

I don't know. I'm using the commercial version of VMware which builds the modules as part of its own installation process.

As a Debian newbie, I haven't come across module-assistant and am still tending to do things the old way (by hand.)

But this isn't really an inconvenience for me - I WANT to have the kernel built with the latest version of gcc to avoid any issues with installing extra stuff (like VMware) or anything else not coming from the Debian repository. It also appeals to my strange sense of neatness ;-)

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/
Blog/personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/