Re: Lenny + Dell PE 2970

Mark Goldshtein wrote:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:58 AM, M. Lewis <cajun@> wrote:
I'm trying to install Lenny on a Dell Power Edge 2970 with little success.
The problem I'm running into is installing grub. My .iso images check with
md5sum correctly. With three different DVDs, I get the error:

Unable to install grub in (hd0)
Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed
This is a fatal error.

Would you like to give us a more detailed picture?
I mean, what was initial status of you hard drive? What with
partitions, do you re-partition the hard drive entirely? What kind of
install you are using (automated, expert)? Have you checked the laptop
BIOS if there any restrictions to write to hard drive MBR or any other
area of your hard drive? Have you checked the laptop BIOS for
different hard drive interfaces switch (e.g. SATA, PATA, SATA+PATA,
etc)?

New box, off the 'shelf'. No partitions there unless Dell put them on to begin with. It was purchased without an O/S.

Hard drive was repartitioned during the (manual) graphic install. LVM, separate /home /boot, etc.

It's not a laptop, it's a rackmount server. I see *nothing* in the BIOS that could prevent me from writing to HDs. Yes, I did switch from QDMA mode on the SATA drives to ATA, with no apparent change.

The machine has a Dell SAS 6 Host Bus Adapter. I see nothing in the configuration there that would prevent writing to the HD.

Of course I could have missed something in the BIOS, or in the HBA setup, but looks like I would have seen it as many times as I have been in there looking for clues.

Thanks,
Mike

--

Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature. - Kulawiec
  04:55:01 up 12:49,  2 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.15

 Linux Registered User #241685  http://counter.li.org